A 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization
Angel Cat Pet Adoptions © 2009 - 2017 All Rights Reserved
Website developed and maintained by Website to the Rescue
Information and Education
Some Cat Facts
• A cat's normal body temperature is 101.5.
• Kittens up to six months old have 26 milk teeth. The adult cat has 30.
• Cats will spend up to 75% of each day sleeping. This makes them the sleepiest of all mammals. How much a cat sleeps depends on their environment and the amount of companionship available.
• A cat's tail is more than just a balancing pole. It is also a steering mechanism and a mood barometer.
• The house cat can get up to a speed of 30 mph for short distances.
• A cat would be lost without his whiskers. They are used to judge entrances and usually grow as long as the cat is wide. Periodically, their whiskers fall out and new ones grow back which may take months.
• Don't feed milk to kittens, or adult cats, it is extremely disruptive to their digestive system.
• Cats have 30 muscles in each ear, which allow them to twist and turn, and flex their ears in many directions to pick up passing sounds.
• A cat can jump up to seven times higher than their own height.
• Unlike many animals, cats can watch television.
• The average life span of an outdoor cat is only 3 to 5 years, which is very short compared to the life span of indoor cats, which can be 15 to 20 years.
• A cat raised inside cannot adapt to the unstable conditions of the outdoors.
• Scientific studies have shown that cats are actually good for their companions. People who care for pets live longer and have fewer heart attacks.
• Never give a cat aspirin, acetaminophen (Tylenol & similar brands), or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin or similar brands). Never give a cat any type of human medication at all.